To stimulate development and growth in Alberta's industries, Alberta government and industry leaders have developed key business development initiatives in a number of areas.
- Aerospace and defence
- Alberta is highly regarded for its capabilities in the aerospace and defence industry, and Alberta companies offer a wide range of aerospace goods and services.
- Alberta’s food and beverage products are made to meet high standards and have an international reputation for quality. Alberta is the third largest producer and exporter of agri-food products in Canada.
- Building products and technologies
- Alberta’s building products and technologies industry has gained a worldwide reputation, particularly in the areas of cold-weather construction and green building technologies.
- Engineering and construction
- Alberta's engineering and construction industry contributes significantly to the Alberta GDP, through its development and application of engineering and construction technologies, project management skills, and its long-established excellence in civil, mechanical, municipal and environmental disciplines.
- Environmental products and services
- Alberta is well known for its natural beauty. The environmental products and services sector helps preserve this legacy through its commitment to sustainability.
- Financial services
- Alberta’s financial services industry is a critical part of the growth, scalability and productivity of the province’s traditional and emerging industrial sectors.
- Information and communication technologies
- Alberta has a large, sophisticated and growing information and communications technology (ICT) industry with an international reputation for innovation. Alberta’s robust ICT sector has enabled growth across all sectors of Alberta’s economy.
- Life sciences
- Alberta is emerging as a dynamic location for expanding life sciences industries. Award winning researchers, outstanding infrastructure, and innovative company developments are the core elements of this growing sector.
- Metal manufacturing
- Alberta is one of Canada’s major metal manufacturing centres. Thanks to a strong demand from Alberta’s energy sector, there are a number of opportunities for the province’s metal manufacturing companies.
- Oil and gas
- Alberta’s technologies and services are in demand all over the world. Although fossil fuels still dominate the world energy mix, higher environmental and regulatory standards are challenging the industry to find new and improved ways to enhance productivity.
- Refining, petrochemicals and biochemicals
- Few people know that Alberta is a leading petrochemical manufacturing province, home to four major ethylene plants with a combined annual production capacity of four million tons.
- Alberta's tourism industry dates back to 1885. Today, tourism is one of the leading industries in the province, supported by a range of tourism, hospitality and service-related businesses that cater to Albertans and visitors.
- Transportation & international logistics
- Alberta has one of the best transportation systems in Canada, and is well served by road, air, rail and pipeline. The province’s transportation systems provide effective and efficient movement of commodities and passengers.
- Industry reports
- A list of cross-sector industry reports highlighting market opportunities and the state of Alberta's industries.
- Meet the experts series
- The Government of Alberta's Meet the Experts series is a platform for knowledge transfer in which industry experts are invited to speak to government on the challenges and opportunities faced by Alberta industries.
For more information download:
- List of Industry Associations (Excel)
- A list of industry associations that serve key industries in Alberta.
Date Updated: Tue, 12 Feb 2013 02:10:44