4,500,000 (2012 est.)
GDP (purchasing power parity):
US $140,396 million (2012 est.)
GDP per capita (PPP):
US $31,337 (2012 est.)
GDP (real growth rate):
1% (2012 est.)
- Dairy products
US $38.3 billion (2012 est.)
- Machinery and electrical equipment
- Mineral fuels
- Transport equipment
US $37.3 billion (2012 est.)
- Dairy products
- Meat products
- Forestry products
Alberta's exports to New Zealand:
CDN $60 million (2012)
Alberta's main exports to New Zealand:
- Wood pulp
Alberta-New Zealand Relations
A summary of Alberta's relationship with New Zealand.
Sector opportunities for Alberta businesses interested in exporting their products
- Agrifood: Notable Alberta agri-food exports to New Zealand in 2012 included prepared animal feeds, tallow, and canola oil. Alberta’s agri-food imports from New Zealand consist almost entirely of wine and spirits..
- Education and training: The University of Alberta has an MOU with University of Auckland - both universities are members of the World Universities Network and have research collaborations. From 2008 to 2012, 58 foreign students from New Zealand were issued a permit to study in Alberta.
- Energy: About 75% of electricity generated in New Zealand comes from renewable sources, the majority of which is from hydro energy. Renewable energy, green technologies and biofuels are of interest to this region. A number of Alberta-based drilling and service companies are currently operating in New Zealand including GLJ Petroleum Consultants Ltd. and McDaniel International Inc.
- Emerging Opportunities: With a robust economy and similar business practices to Canada, New Zealand has particular interest in Canadian bio-processing, bio-fuels, renewable energy technologies and environmental technologies.
Date Updated: Thu, 29 Aug 2013 10:48:16