88,700,000 (2012 est.)
GDP (purchasing power parity):
US $ 300.2 billion (2012 est.)
GDP per capita (PPP):
US $ 3,386 (2012 est.)
GDP (real growth rate):
6.6% (2012 est.)
- Food processing
- Machine building
US $ 113.8 billion (2012 est.)
- Machinery, equipment and parts
- Refined petroleum
- Materials for textile industry
US $114.6 billion (2012 est.)
- Textiles and garments
- Crude oil
- Fisheries products
Alberta's exports to Vietnam:
CDN $ 42.6 million (2012)
Alberta's main exports to Vietnam:
- Hides & Skins
A summary of Alberta's relationship with Vietnam.
Sector opportunities for Alberta businesses interested in exporting their products
- Agrifood: In August 2011, Vietnam renewed market access for Canadian exports of live breeding cattle, sheep and goats. The country had previously banned these exports in 2003m due to Bovine Spongiform Encephalopathy (BSE) concerns. Alberta livestock exporters are expected to benefit.
- Education and training: Vietnam is poised to be in the top 25 foreign student source countries for Canada. Alberta led Study in Canada Mission and participated in the first Canada Education Week in Vietnam with three other provinces in October 2009. Vietnam has been sending senior civil servants to Alberta since 2010 to improve English language skills and acquire broader knowledge in related areas ranging from rural development and agriculture to finance and higher education through Project 165.
- Energy: Alberta and Vietnam have a long history of cooperation in the energy sector. Calgary-based Talisman Energy has interests in three offshore oil drilling projects off Vietnam’s coast, in the South China Sea. Keeper Energy, also based in government-owned PetroVietnam to explore coalbed methane onshore.
Date Updated: Tue, 03 Sep 2013 01:54:22