138,739,892 (July 2011 est.)
GDP (purchasing power parity):
US $2.229 trillion (2010 est.)
GDP per capita (PPP):
US $15,900 (2010 est.)
GDP (real growth rate):
3.8% (2010 est.)
- Complete range of mining and extractive industries producing coal, oil, gas, chemicals and metals
- All forms of machine building from rolling mills to high-performance aircraft and space vehicles
- Defense industries including radar, missile production and advanced electronic components, shipbuilding
- Road and rail transportation equipment
- Communications equipment
- Agricultural machinery, tractors and construction equipment
- Electric power generating and transmitting equipment
- Medical and scientific instruments
- Consumer durables, textiles, foodstuffs, handicrafts
US $237.3 billion (2010 est.)
- Machinery and equipment
- Iron and steel
- Fruits and nuts
- Semi-finished metal products
US $376.7 billion (2010 est.)
- Petroleum and petroleum products
- Natural gas
- Wood and wood products
- Wide variety of civilian and military manufactures
Alberta's exports to Russia:
CAN $239.9 million (2010)
Alberta's main exports to Russia:
- Boring or sinking machinery and parts
- Distilling or rectifying plant
- Taps, cocks, valves
- Chemical products and preparations
- Parts for surveying instruments
- Engines and parts
- Bovine livers
- Additives for mineral oils
- Iron or steel articles
- Parts of cranes, work-trucks, other construction equipment
- Motor vehicles (non-transport purposes)
- Prefabricated buildings
- Mechanical shovels and excavators
Canada's main exports to Russia:
- Boring or sinking machinery and parts
- Live bovine
- Seeders, planters and transplanters
- Office machines
Information about Russia
- CIA World Factbook
- Detailed information about Russia's economy, political system and history.
- Energy Information Administration
- Energy profile for Russia.
- Alberta's International Trade Review
- An analysis of Alberta's international exports of goods and services. Published by Alberta International and Intergovernmental Relations.
- Trade Data Online
- Customized reports on Canada's trade with over 200 countries.
- World Relations
- A summary of Alberta's relationship with Russia.
Alberta has historically been the most active Canadian province in Russia. The majority of Alberta's private sector activities in Russia have focused on oil and gas.
Sector opportunities for Alberta businesses interested in exporting their products
Architecture, engineering and construction: Western Siberia and Sakhalin Island offer the best opportunities in the engineering and industrial construction sectors. Sakhalin Island has strict local content rules, but these can be spread over the life of the project. Most operators plan to fulfill their content quotas on the back end, meaning companies can be selective in choosing local partners and workers. Siberia offers opportunities in gas processing plants, pipelines and refineries.
Industrial machinery and equipment: BP's partnership with TNK and Conoco-Philip's partnership with Lukoil have moved the Russian industry closer to western standards. Tendering has become more transparent and companies are looking to upgrade old equipment and infrastructure. Enhanced oil recovery, downhole tools, hydraulic fracturing and seismic are currently on the wish list for most Russian companies. Processing, pipeline and refinery equipment and services are also in heavy demand. Gazprom is moving towards liquefied natural gas and requires companies with expertise in all areas, from production to transport to processing. Russia has a large, but undeveloped, heavy oil sector. This is an area Alberta companies should have an advantage in as Russia begins to develop their field over the next five to ten years.
Services for exporters
- Canada Business
- Online tool for new and experienced exporters.
- The Canadian Commercial Corporation
- Crown corporation that promotes and facilitates international trade on behalf of Canadian industry.
- Export Alert!
- A resource for exporters to learn about changes in foreign export regulations.
- Export resources
- Resources for both new and experienced exporters.
- International Trade Canada
- Sector reports as well as a list of staff contacts that can assist exporters.
Services in Russia
Date Updated: Tue, 09 Sep 2014 11:04:14