About the industry
Alberta has a strong foothold in aerospace and defence. The industry contributes $1.3 billion in revenue annually to the provincial economy, is home to 170 aerospace and aviation companies, and employs over 6,000 highly skilled Albertans. It is recognized world-wide for its expertise within niche areas like robotics and unmanned vehicle systems, defence electronics, and space science and geomatics.
The Alberta government recognizes the significant opportunities within this sector. To build on those strengths, Alberta Enterprise and Advanced Education, in cooperation with a diverse and committed group of stakeholders, developed A Vector to Diversity: Alberta's Aerospace and Defence Industry Strategy.
Industry fast facts
- Annual revenues are over $1.3 billion, with 40% of production destined to export markets
- Alberta is home to the Canadian Centre for Unmanned Vehicle Systems (CCUVS)
- Universities have leading expertise in space science and close ties with the Canadian Space Agency
- Alberta has a significant military presence with three immense instrumented weapons ranges
- DRDC Suffield is internationally recognized for its R&D in chemical and biological defence
- Canadian Aerospace Industries: Key Facts & Figures (Source: Aerospace Industries Association of Canda, 2012).
- Aerospace Industries: Canada's competitive advantage (Source: Invest in Canada, June 2013)
- Aerospace & Defence: 2011 year in review and 2012 forecast
- KPMG's Global Aerospace & Defense Industry Update (Winter 2011 edition)
- Alberta Space Program – Boundless Opportunity: Learn about the important Alberta aerospace projects and initiatives that are attracting international attention and investment including:
- TeraHertz (Thz) Instrumentation
- Enhanced Polar Outflow Probe (e-POP)
- CEFIs & Swarms
- Resolute Bay Incoherent Scatter Radar
- The Outer Radiation Belt Injection, Transport, Acceleration and Loss Satellite (ORBITALS)
- Phoenix Mission to Mars
- Earth Observation
- Iunctus Geomatics Corp
- Motive Industries
- Alberta Aerospace and Defence Industry Overview
- Canada's Aerospace Products Industry Overview (Summer 2012 edition)
- Alberta Aerospace Education Facilities and Training Capacity Overview
- Alberta Defence Industry Overview
- Alberta UVS Industry Overview
- Aerospace and Defence in South Eastern Alberta
Areas of expertise
Alberta's aerospace and defence industry sector can be thought of as five closely interrelated, yet distinct sector niches. To learn more about Alberta’s aerospace and defence strengths, see:
Robotics and Unmanned Vehicle Systems
A strong Unmanned Vehicle Systems sector is emerging in Alberta. This innovative niche is expected to grow tremendously in the coming years because of its wide-ranging applications for military and commercial use.
Logistic support to the military
Alberta offers unique advantages and opportunities for defence companies – including excellent flying weather; some of the best instrumented test ranges in the world, and a strong federal defence research and development capability.
Alberta companies are making and maintaining the Canadian Forces’ communications systems, software, specialized sensors, and other electronic components used in military applications.
Space science and aerospace geomatics
Alberta's expertise in the areas of space physics, space instrumentation, imaging, and space materials is unmatched in Canada.
Manufacturing, maintenance, Repair and Overhaul (MMRO)
Alberta-based companies provide maintenance, repair, overhaul and modification of both military and commercial aircraft, including: avionics, airframes, engines, equipment and component parts, interior refurbishment, and, aircraft painting.
Niche Cluster Support
Alberta has other areas noteworthy for their direct support to the aerospace and defence industry: Aerospace Infrastructure, Alberta’s Aerospace and Aviation Heritage, Aerospace Education, and cTraining Capacity.
Aerospace and defence profile
Read a comprehensive profile on Alberta's aerospace and defence industry.
A Vector to Diversity
Learn more about the Alberta aerospace and defence industry strategy and action plan.
Date Updated: Tue, 03 Sep 2013 12:08:38