About the industry
Alberta has a strong foothold in aerospace and defence. The industry contributes $1.3 billion in revenue annually to the provincial economy, is home to 170 aerospace and aviation companies, and employs over 6,000 highly skilled Albertans. It is recognized world-wide for its expertise within niche areas like robotics and unmanned vehicle systems, defence electronics, and space science and geomatics.
Industry fast facts
- Annual revenues are over $1.3 billion, with 40% of production destined to export markets
- Universities have leading expertise in space science and close ties with the Canadian Space Agency
- Alberta has a significant military presence with three immense instrumented weapons ranges
- DRDC Suffield is internationally recognized for its R&D in chemical and biological defence
- 2014 Economic Impact of Business Aviation in Canada (Canadian Business Aviation Association, December 2014)
- Aerospace Industries: Canada's competitive advantages (Source: Invest in Canada, July 2014)
- The State of the Canadian Aerospace Industry (Source: Aerospace Industries Association of Canada, 2013).
- Aerospace & Defence: 2011 year in review and 2012 forecast
- Alberta Space Program – Boundless Opportunity: Learn about the important Alberta aerospace projects and initiatives that are attracting international attention and investment including:
- TeraHertz (Thz) Instrumentation
- Enhanced Polar Outflow Probe (e-POP)
- CEFIs & Swarms
- Resolute Bay Incoherent Scatter Radar
- The Outer Radiation Belt Injection, Transport, Acceleration and Loss Satellite (ORBITALS)
- Phoenix Mission to Mars
- Earth Observation
- Iunctus Geomatics Corp
- Motive Industries
- Alberta Aerospace and Defence Industry Overview
- Canada's Aerospace Products Industry Overview (Summer 2012 edition)
- Alberta Aerospace Education Facilities and Training Capacity Overview
- Alberta Defence Industry Overview
- Alberta UVS Industry Overview
- Aerospace and Defence in South Eastern Alberta
Areas of expertise
Alberta's aerospace and defence industry sector can be thought of as five closely interrelated, yet distinct sector niches. To learn more about Alberta’s aerospace and defence strengths, see:
Robotics and Unmanned Vehicle Systems
A strong Unmanned Vehicle Systems sector is emerging in Alberta. This innovative niche is expected to grow tremendously in the coming years because of its wide-ranging applications for military and commercial use.
Logistic support to the military
Alberta offers unique advantages and opportunities for defence companies – including excellent flying weather; some of the best instrumented test ranges in the world, and a strong federal defence research and development capability.
Alberta companies are making and maintaining the Canadian Forces’ communications systems, software, specialized sensors, and other electronic components used in military applications.
Space science and aerospace geomatics
Alberta's expertise in the areas of space physics, space instrumentation, imaging, and space materials is unmatched in Canada.
Manufacturing, maintenance, Repair and Overhaul (MMRO)
Alberta-based companies provide maintenance, repair, overhaul and modification of both military and commercial aircraft, including: avionics, airframes, engines, equipment and component parts, interior refurbishment, and, aircraft painting.
Niche Cluster Support
Alberta has other areas noteworthy for their direct support to the aerospace and defence industry: Aerospace Infrastructure, Alberta’s Aerospace and Aviation Heritage, Aerospace Education, and cTraining Capacity.
Alberta Trade and Investment Attraction Mission to Farnborough International Air Show 2018
Find out more information about the Alberta organizations being featured at the Farnborough International Air Show July 16 – 22, 2018 in Farnborough, UK.
Alberta Trade and Investment Attraction Mission to AUVSI 2018
Find out more information about the Alberta companies being featured at the Association for Unmanned Vehicle Systems International (AUVSI) Xponential 2018 on May 1-3, 2018 in Denver, Colorado.
Alberta Trade and Investment Attraction Mission to FIDAE 2018
Find out more information about all the Alberta organizations featured at the International Air and Space Fair (FIDAE) on April 3 - 8, 2018 in Santiago, Chile.
Aerospace and defence profile
Read a comprehensive profile on Alberta's aerospace and defence industry.
Date Updated: Thu, 21 Dec 2017 04:08:02