News Archive 2011
- Aerospace & Defense Industry Update (KPMG, Winter 2011). Aerospace & Defense (A&D) is a quarterly update, produced by KPMG, which provides updates on the global aerospace and defence sector. In this edition of Aerospace & Defence, the focus is on commercial aviation. Specifically the recent launch of the Boeing 787 Dreamliner™ and its impact on the industry. This edition of Aerospace & Defense also discusses recent A&D M&A transactions in the global A&D sector and provides a market snapshot.
- WestJet announces service to LaGuardia (WestJet, January 27, 2012). WestJet today unveiled details of its scheduled service to New York's LaGuardia airport - 7 non-stop flights each business day between Toronto and New York City starting June 4, 2012.
- WestJet to launch short haul regional airline? (The Canadian Press, January 16, 2012). WestJet is considering launching a new short-haul regional airline in a move that would extend service to smaller communities and increase traffic to its current network.
- WestJet announces Japan Airlines code-share agreement (WestJet, December 14, 2011)[G1] . WestJet today announced that it has signed a code-share agreement with Japan Airlines (JAL) to begin accepting connecting guests on WestJet flights on December 15, 2011.
- AeroMechanical Services Awarded European Patent (AeroMechanical Services, December 8, 2011). AeroMechanical Services Ltd. is pleased to announce it has received a patent from the European Patent Office for the Aircraft Flight Data Management System. AMA owns all its patents outright and with the receipt of this patent, AMA has patents for its products and services on three continents.
- Federal government to spend $1.1 billion on combat vehicles (Postmedia News, October 21, 2011). The federal government announced in Edmonton and London, Ont., Friday a $1.1 billion contract to General Dynamics Land Systems to upgrade 550 LAV III combat vehicles."The LAV III Upgrade Project Implementation Phase contract is expected to maintain up to 2,400 full-time positions in Edmonton and in London," stated a government release.
- WestJet among Canada's Top 100 Employers (West Jet, October 7, 2011). The only airline in the top 100, the recognition is a first for West Jet.
- AeroMechanical Services to Provide Service to International Charter Airline (AeroMechanical Services, Sept. 13, 2011). AeroMechanical Services has signed a contract with an international charter airline based in the United States for the Automated Flight Information Reporting System (AFIRSTM) 220.
- Advanced Expert Systems expands from the UK to Redcliff, Alberta (Economic Development Alliance of Southeast Alberta, Aug. 31, 2011). Officially a Canadian entity, Advanced Expert Systems (AES) Canada Ltd has expanded its business from the United Kingdom to Redcliff, Alberta; opening a new location in the Redcliff Technology Enterprise Centre (REDTEC).
- Futuristic 'airships' to be built for North (CBC News, Aug. 29, 2011). Yellowknife, British companies sign deal for aircraft that can land almost anywhere.
- Minister Fast Highlights Harper Government's Support for Canada's World-Class Aerospace and Defence Sectors (Foreign Affairs and International Trade Canada, Aug. 18, 2011). Government funding to industry associations will help Canada compete globally and create new, well-paying jobs for Canadian workers.
- AeroMechanical Services Signs AFIRS 220 Contract with Middle Eastern Airline (Business Wire, Aug. 17, 2011). The contract requires AeroMechanical Services to install the AFIRS 220 on two Boeing 737-300 aircraft serving the Middle East and North Africa.
- Evans Consoles Acquires DAS/NKI Group (Evans Consoles, March 13, 2011). Evans Consoles Corporation is pleased to announce the acquisition of both Dutch Airport Solutions B.V. (DAS) and the assets relating to the airport interiors division of NKI Solutions B.V. (NKI), both based in the Netherlands.
- French Government Accident Investigation Organization Reccommends Mandatory Aircraft Data Streaming (Business Wire, Aug. 15, 2011). The recommendation is contained in the third Interim Report of the Bureau d'Enquêtes et d'Analyses (BEA) on the loss of Air France flight 447.
- Twin Otter Series 400 Order Book: Sales network continues to Grow (Viking Air, June 22, 2011). Airfast Indonesia signs purchase agreement, ADIC assigned rep for Philippines.
- WestJet welcomes expanded Canada-Mexico air agreement (WestJet, Aug. 15, 2011). WestJet announced an expanded air transport agreement between Canada and Mexico. WestJet is scheduled to fly non-stop 95 times per week to Mexico from 19 Canadian cities as part of its 2011-2012 winter schedule.
- AeroMechanical Services Installs Second Operations Centre in Nigeria (Business Wire, Aug. 15, 2011). The new operations centre will be used for real-time weather infomation and forecasting.
- Canada and Europe enhance aviation safety with new agreement (Government of Canada, Aug. 11, 2011). The Agreement on Civil Aviation Safety came into force on July 26, 2011, and will make reciprocal acceptance of aeronautical products and services easier, reducing costs for Canadian companies and increasing competitiveness.
- Canadian airlines seek emissions solution (The National Airlines Council of Canada, Aug. 9, 2011). Largest airlines in Canada call on the European Union to suspend its emissions trading scheme in favour of a comprehensive multilateral solution.
- Aerospace and Defence Industry Opportunities in France (2011)
- 2011 New Federal Trade Commission Profile on the Aeronautic & Defence Sector in France (PDF)
- Description of the Rhone-Alpes region Aerospace Cluster (PDF)
- Why invest in Rhone-Alpes? (PDF)
- NRC Industrial Research Assistance Program - Call for Proposals (PDF) and Declaration of Intent form (PDF)
- WestJet welcomes Canada-Brazil air agreement (WestJet, Aug. 9, 2011). West Jet welecomed the announcement of the new, Open Skies-type agreement between Canada and Brazil.
- Moving farther out of the "Traditional" box... (PDF) (Alberta Aviation Museum Association. July 26, 2011). The Alberta Aviation Museum is proud to announce an industry partnership with Buffalo Airways of "Ice Pilots" fame to create a 21st Century Lockheed Electra Procedural Flight Training Simulator.
- Blue boxes taking Flyht around world: Calgary firm develops air safety devices (Calgary Herald, July 12, 2011). Calgary firm AeroMechanical develops the Flyht Automated Flight Information Reporting System.
- Eurocopter Holding Acquires 98.32% of Vector Aerospace Corporation Shares Following C$13.00/Share Cash Offer (PDF) (Vector Aerospace, June 30, 2011). The aquisition is expected to bolster Eurocopter's support and services activities.
- AIAC appoints new President and Chief Executive Officer (PDF) (AIAC, June 15, 2011). The Aerospace Industries Association of Canada (AIAC), the voice of the Canadian aerospace industry, today announced the appointment of Mr. James Quick as President and Chief Executive Officer.
- Trident Fury, the world's most advanced live fire joint excercise (Video. May 13, 2011). This video from the Trident Fury live fire joint excercise is presented by the Canadian Centre for Unmanned Vehicle Systems (CCUVS)
- Air France Crash Suggestion: Have Planes Send Black Box Data by Satellite (Source: ABC, June 13, 2011). Iridium Communications and AeroMechanical Services Ltd. are promoting Automated Flight Information Reporting System (AFIRS) to automatically send black box data by satellite to the airline if a plane goes into a dive or loses cabin pressure.
- First Ever Single-Enclosure GPS Anti-Jam Antenna for Millitary Land Vehicles Announced at CANSEC (Source: NovAtel Inc., June 1, 2011). GAJT (GPS Anti-Jam Technology) optimizes battlefield performance by nullifying the effect of multiple GPS jammers.
- AeroMechanical Services Customer Expands with AFIRS 220 (Source: Business Wire, June 9, 2011). A major air express company in the United States has signed a contract for four Automated Flight Information Reporting System (AFIRS) model 220 unit for Boing 767 aircraft being added to its fleet.
- AeroMechanical Services Receives Chinese Patent (Source: Business Wire, June 1, 2011). AeroMechanical Services Ltd. has received a Certificate of Invention Patent from China for its Aircraft Flight Data Management System.
- AeroMechanical Services and Nigerian Civil Aviation Authority Unveil Flight Tracking Operations Command Centre in Lagos (Source: Business Wire, April 7 2011 ).
- Unmanned Vehicle Systems News & Updates (Source: Economic Development Alliance of Southeast Alberta, March 31 2011). In this newsletter, learn about the new UVS marketing video, CCUVS' support of the geomatis and robotics and unmanned systems sectors, and the Government of Alberta's competitiveness program for the aerospace and defence sector.
*Note: Due to the age of these archived records, links may no longer be active.
Date Updated: Wed, 22 May 2013 09:05:52