Navigate This Page
Along with financial services, transportation and logistics, and building products, the aerospace and defence sector forms a group of advanced industries that the Government of Alberta recognizes as adding significant value, innovation, and diversification to the provincial economy.
Diversification into aerospace and defence is important to Alberta for a number of reasons: the sector employs highly qualified and skilled workers, it shares many of the same technologies used in other high-tech fields (including nanotechnology, ICT, and advanced materials), and it is an environmentally conscious industry sector. In short, the aerospace and defence industry is a green field that provides another home to Alberta's advanced technology and employees beyond the oil and gas sector.
NATO is seeking to identify COTS/GOTS Transportable Satellite Ground terminals (TSGT) that can meet or exceed future requirements within the SATCOM area.
Interested participants should fill in the following market survey:
Responses are due back to the NATO Communications and Information (NCI) Agency by no later than 17:00 Brussels time on August 31, 2018. Responses should be sent to Mr. Werner GOOS, firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Community and Regional Economic Development Funding Programs
- This document lists a number of funding programs related to community and regional economic development offered by the Government of Canada and the Government of Alberta, as well as a number of foundations and not-for-profit groups
Alberta and International Trade Shows
For a list of upcoming 2018 industry events in which Alberta Government will be in attendance, please download the Aerospace and Defence - Key Industry Events List.
- Trident Fury, the world's most advanced live fire joint exercise (Video: May 13, 2011).
- This video from the Trident Fury live fire joint exercise is presented by the Canadian Centre for Unmanned Vehicle Systems (CCUVS)
- AwareBase Tina Now Manages DD CC130 Hercules Parts Data (Source: AwareBase).
- Edmonton IT solutions company AwareBase announced the successful rollout of additional Tina features and functions enabling secure and controlled management of parts of bill of material data and information for the Canadian Department of National Defence CC130 Hercules aircraft.
- Alberta's UVS Advantage (Video).
- This video highlights the successes of the UVS sector in Alberta and why UVS companies are successful in Alberta.
- Viking Air Breathes New Life Into Old Plane (Source: The Wall Street Journal, July 8th, 2010).
- B.C. based Viking Air is bringing back the Twin Otter, a plane that has not been produced since 1988. Assembly of the planes is occurring at Viking's Calgary, Alberta plant.
- Ian Mann, 39, Alberta: Top 40 under 40 (Source: The Globe and Mail).
- A success story from Alberta's aerospace research community.
Many opportunities in aerospace and defence are made known through competitive processes that are often advertised on provincial and federal procurement sites. Within Alberta, the provincial opportunities are most often found on the (APC).
The APC enables purchasers from the Government of Alberta and the Province of Alberta's MASH sector (includes municipalities, municipal organizations, school boards and publicly-funded academic, health and social service entities) to create and post purchasing opportunities. APC is the Province of Alberta's official system for posting and distributing purchasing opportunities from the Alberta public sector.
MERX is the most complete source of public tenders and private construction available in Canada.
Private competitions and business development opportunities are often not posted on these sites however, so Alberta industry is encouraged to network through industry associations, trade shows, and workshops within the industry cluster. Some of these opportunities may be advertised in Alberta Canada's Calendar of events.
- The Aerospace & Defence Industry in Singapore – Market Report by the Canadian Trade Commissioner Service, Singapore (PDF, December 2013)
- An overview of Singapore’s Aerospace & Defence Industry.
- Aerospace Industries: Canada's competitive Advantage (Source: Invest in Canada, June 2013).
- Canada's aerospace industry is ranked 5th amongst OECD (Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development) countries in terms of revenues and contribution to GDP.
- Accessing UK Defence Research and Development (PDF, August 2012)
- The UK Defence Science and Technology Laboratory (Dstl) conducts a wide variety of research, development and demonstration projects, covering almost all sub-sectors of the aerospace, defence and security landscape. Due to funding pressures, the Dstl has been asked to do more with less so there will undoubtedly be an increase in the desire for international partnering on projects. Canadian organizations are well-placed to bid to work on Dstl projects, either alone or in collaboration.
- 2011 New Federal Trade Commission Profile on the Aeronautic & Defence Sector in France (PDF)
- An overview of the French aeronautic industry, is market segments and its main leaders.
- Global Innovation Index and Report 2009-2010 (PDF, April 2010)
- The Global Innovation Index (GII) is a global benchmarking instruments that ranks countries based on innovation ability and capacity. The report also highlights some countries' innovation successes through case studies.
- (PDF, January 2010)
- A report prepared by Deloitte on the global state of the Aerospace & Defence industry and predictions for the upcoming year.
- Competitiveness of the EU Aerospace Industry (PDF, December 2009).
- This report analyzes the competitiveness of the Aerospace industry in Europe, with a focus on the Aeronautics industry.
- Alberta Industry Sector Performances and Prospects (PDF, May 2009).
- PriceWaterhouseCoopers has prepared a study on the performance, trends and prospects of 19 of Alberta's largest industry sectors for Alberta Finance and Enterprise. The report consists of the following components:
- Macroeconomic analysis of trends and outlooks for the Canadian and Alberta economies.
- Analysis of overall industry sector trends in Alberta.
- Industry profiles. This includes a description of the type of size of firms in these sectors, an assessment of factors influencing growth and performance of industry sectors since 2000 and of the growth prospects for each sector through a detailed SWOT analysis (Strengths, Weaknesses, Opportunities and Threats) for each industry sector.
- Canadaexport, the official e-magazine of the Canadian Trade Commissioner Service:
- Read informative articles, learn about best practices, and get updates on events relating to exporting, trade and investment.
The Export your products section of the website has information about exporting opportunities for Alberta Businesses. To learn more about these opportunities, browse the International market profiles.
Alberta Trade and Investment Attraction Mission to Commercial UAV Expo 2018
Find out more information about the Alberta organizations being featured at the Commercial UAV Expo October 1-3, 2018 in Las Vegas, Nevada.
Alberta Trade and Investment Attraction Mission to Farnborough International Air Show 2018
Find out more information about the Alberta organizations being featured at the Farnborough International Air Show July 16 – 22, 2018 in Farnborough, UK.
Alberta Trade and Investment Attraction Mission to AUVSI 2018
Find out more information about the Alberta companies being featured at the Association for Unmanned Vehicle Systems International (AUVSI) Xponential 2018 on May 1-3, 2018 in Denver, Colorado.
Alberta Trade and Investment Attraction Mission to FIDAE 2018
Find out more information about all the Alberta organizations featured at the International Air and Space Fair (FIDAE) on April 3 - 8, 2018 in Santiago, Chile.
Aerospace and defence profile
Read a comprehensive profile on Alberta's aerospace and defence industry.
Date Updated: Thu, 16 Aug 2018 02:41:00