Software and IT
Alberta's software industry has highly specialized and widely recognized expertise in a wide variety of business areas, including:
- custom programming
- digital content creation
- energy and resource industry software
- financial and process management software
- geospatial and remote sensing systems and related software
- image processing and analysis
- industrial process control automation
- scientific and engineering software
- systems integration and consulting
Specific opportunities in Alberta’s software industry exist in the following areas:
- Broadband network applications on Alberta's province-wide SuperNet fiber network. Opportunities exist in wireless last mile applications for industry, citizens and government.
- Geospatial and remote sensing systems and software including the areas of geospatial visualization and modeling (resource management and environmental), earth observation, and sensor systems (GPS, environmental, space-based).
- Health systems, specifically health industry initiatives focused on expanding Alberta's leadership in health information and record systems.
- Technology fusion. Significant opportunities exist at the intersection of biotech/health, nanotechnology and information technology, especially in areas in which the province has significant capabilities, such as:
- enhanced wireless medical systems
- health portals and analytic engines to simplify and organize electronic health information and processes
- ultra sensitive hyperspectral sensors/instruments and data cube analysis systems
Education and research
Alberta’s software and IT sector enjoys access to an outstanding research community and excellent education system - including 26 world-class post-secondary institutions - providing one of the most highly educated technologically advanced work forces in North America.These colleges and universities offer the full range of software-related training programs and courses.
Academic and industry research strengths include:
- algorithmic number theory and cryptography
- artificial intelligence (AI) / machine learning
- computer graphics, visualization, image analysis, robotics
- data mining and database management
- high performance computing
- software engineering
Alberta’s academic institutions are home to numerous world-class research groups in the area of software and IT. Some of these include:
Industry sector profile
Read a comprehensive profile on Alberta’s information and communications technology industry.
Date Updated: Fri, 07 Sep 2012 10:47:28