Employment standards and labour code
Provincial or territorial labour laws apply to about 90% of the Canadian workforce. The remaining 10% are federally regulated.
Federally regulated industries include inter-provincial or international transportation, radio, television, postal service, banking and some crown corporations.
Standards in Alberta
- Alberta Ministry of Jobs, Skills, Training and Labour – Employment Standards
- Alberta Jobs, Skills, Training and Labour administers provincial employment standards and provides information, education and resources.
- Alberta’s standards
- The Employment Standards Code and Employment Standards Regulation establish Alberta’s minimum standards of employment in many areas including wages and earnings, hours of work, overtime, vacation and holidays, leaves and termination of employment.
- Employment Standards Code
- Employment Standards Regulation
- The Employment Standards Code and Employment Standards Regulation outline Alberta’s employment standards.
- Alberta Labour Relations Board
- The Alberta Labour Relations Board is responsible for the day-to-day application and interpretation of Alberta's labour laws.
- Labour Relations Code
- Public Service Employee Relations Act
- Police Officers Collective Bargaining Act
- Understand the legislation that deals with disputes between employers and unions (and employees represented by unions).
- Human Resources and Skills Development Canada (Labour)
- Human Resources and Skills Development Canada administers federal employment standards and provides information, education and resources.
- Canada Labour Code
- The Canada Labour Code (CLC) applies only to federally regulated employers. The CLC regulates strikes and lockouts, occupational health and safety, some employment standards, standard hours, wages, vacation and holidays.
- Employment standards legislation in Canada
- Understand the legislation governing private sector minimum employment standards in Canada.
- Pay Equity Program
- The Pay Equity Program promotes the elimination of gender-based wage discrimination in the federally regulated sector.
Standards in Canada
Browse the latest presentations, reports, and reviews on Alberta’s economic performance.
Employment and labour relations
Find out about the employment-related legislation in every province.
Date Updated: Fri, 21 Mar 2014 09:10:04