Federal energy laws
Federal legislation may apply to proposed energy projects or investments with international or inter-provincial elements.
The National Energy Board (NEB) is the federal agency that deals with energy regulation in Canada. The NEB has responsibilities under the:
- National Energy Board Act
- Canada Oil and Gas Operations Act
- Canada Environmental Assessment Act
- Northern Pipeline Act
- Canada Petroleum Resources Act
The NEB also has jurisdiction over pipelines that transport commodities other than oil or natural gas. The Board’s main responsibilities include:
- Construction and operation of pipelines and power lines
- Export and import of energy
- Energy studies and advisory function
- Frontier oil and gas
- Northern Pipeline Agency
- Traffic, tolls and tariffs
- Acts and Regulations
- The National Energy Board Act operates under several acts and regulations.
- Energy Reports
- The NEB reviews the outlook for the Canadian supply of oil, natural gas, natural gas liquids, electricity and demand for energy products domestically and internationally.
- Find statistics about the oil, gas and electric utility industries.
Browse the latest presentations, reports, and reviews on Alberta’s economic performance.
Employment and labour relations
Find out about the employment-related legislation in every province.
Date Updated: Tue, 12 Jun 2012 01:28:15