Companies in Alberta are defining and redefining many high-tech sectors and establishing themselves as global leaders. The result is a diversified range of businesses with promising investment opportunities.
- Aerospace and defence
- Alberta is highly regarded for its capabilities in robotics and unmanned vehicle systems (UVS); defence electronics; aerospace-based geomatics and space sciences; manufacturing, maintenance, repair and overhaul (MMRO); and logistics support to the military.
- Alberta’s extensive network of research and development facilities help develop and commercialize agrifood products and processes.
- Building products and technologies
- Alberta’s building products industry has gained a tremendous reputation worldwide, particularly in the areas of cold-weather construction and green building technologies.
- Engineering and construction
- This industry accounts for about 9% of the province’s annual GDP. It continues to grow because of its participation in Alberta's strong infrastructure and resource development activity.
- Environmental products and services
- Alberta has a well-earned international reputation for excellence in water treatment, waste management and the development of climate change solutions. Development opportunities exist in many other areas.
- Financial services
- Alberta’s financial services industry accounts for a significant share of provincial employment and GDP. The sector has expanded by an average of 6.4% per year since 2002.
- Information and communication technologies
- Alberta has a large, sophisticated and growing information and communications technology (ICT) sector that is the third largest value-added sector in the province.
- Life sciences
- Alberta’s research facilities and highly skilled workforce support innovative developments in rehabilitative medicine, biomedical engineering, health informatics and nanotechnology.
- Industrial manufacturing
- Alberta is one of Canada’s major industrial manufacturing centres, in part due to the energy sector. Tens of billions of dollars are being spent in both the oil sands and conventional oil and gas sectors each year.
- Oil and gas
- Alberta is Canada’s energy province. Energy development is the largest contributor to the Alberta’s GDP, capital investments and exports.
- Refining, Petrochemicals and Biochemicals
- Alberta has one of the largest petrochemical industries in Canada, characterized by modern, world-scale plants, efficient transportation systems and access to the second largest crude oil reserve in the world.
- Tourism is one of Alberta’s leading industries. A range of tourist, hospitality and service-related businesses cater to Albertans traveling in their own province and visitors from other parts of the world.
- Logistics & market access
- Alberta has one of the best transportation systems in Canada. Through road, rail, air cargo and pipeline networks, more than $100 billion of Alberta products move to international markets each year.
Fuel for thought: The economic benefits of oil sands investment for Canada's regions
The Conference Board of Canada presents this 83-page report that reveals how Canada's regions will likely benefit from economic opportunities resulting in the hundreds of billions expected to be invested in Canada's oil sands in the next 25 years.
Alberta Major Projects Map
Explore an interactive map of projects that are currently being planned, carried out, and completed across the province.
Date Updated: Wed, 16 Mar 2016 03:07:22