Reasons to invest
Here are more reasons to invest in Alberta:
- Economic Growth and Investment
- Alberta consistently has the highest investment per capita among provinces. In 2012, Alberta’s investment per capita was $25,348, more than double the Canadian average of $11,224 per capita.
- For more information, see Alberta’s Economic Highlights
- Strong Exports
- In 2012, Alberta exported $95.0 billion in commodities to 192 countries, representing an increase of 20.3% from $79.3 billion in 2010.
- Between 2002 and 2012 Alberta’s international merchandise exports rose 95% to $95.5 billion. By comparison, exports from the rest of Canada rose only 5% over the same period.
- Manufacturing exports grew by 32% between 2004 and 2014, and the agricultural sector led all sectors with growth of 177%.
- Abundant Resources
- Alberta has the third largest petroleum reserves in the world, after Saudi Arabia and Venezuela, and total crude oil and equivalent production is expected to reach 3.1 million barrels per day by 2018 (ERCB forecast).
- Alberta has one of the world’s most productive agricultural economies, with a total farm area of 50.5 million acres or 20.4 million hectares used for crop and livestock production.
- In 2011, shipments of forest products reached $4.0 billion, and exports were $2.1 billion.
- For more information regarding Alberta’s resource-based industries, such as agriculture, energy and forestry, see the following Government of Alberta websites:
- A Diverse Economy
- Energy accounts for a little over one-quarter of the province’s Gross Domestic Product (GDP), down from 36% three decades ago.
- Financial, real-estate and business and commercial services make up another quarter of GDP.
- In the midst of global economic uncertainty and challenges facing the energy sector, in early 2013 the Alberta economy is bolstered by retail sales and housing construction.
- Competitive Tax Environment
- Alberta offers one of the most competitive business tax environments in North America – no provincial retail sales tax (PST), provincial capital taxes, payroll taxes or machinery and equipment taxes.
- Find out more about Alberta’s Competitive Tax Environment
- Commitment to Support Innovation
- Alberta Innovates is a system of government agencies run through Alberta Enterprise and Advanced Education committed to working with industry to support new technology development, increase commercialization and develop new markets and opportunities.
- Alberta’s key advanced technology sectors include:
- Market Access
- Alberta is strategically located with its central position in the growing western Canadian market of ten million people
- Alberta is the only western province that offers overnight, or less than 24-hour delivery service to all of western Canada and the U.S. Pacific Northwest - a market of more than 50 million consumers.
- Modern Infrastructure
- Alberta’s world-class infrastructure supports business development and growth. Alberta has:
- A Diverse, Skilled and Educated Workforce
- One in six Albertans was born outside of Canada, making Alberta one of the most multi-national and multi-cultural provinces in the country.
- As of July 1st, 2013, Alberta’s population was estimated at 4,025,074 a 3.51% increase from a year earlier.
- In 2012, 63.3% of the labour force aged twenty-five years and older reported holding a university degree or post-secondary diploma or certificate.
- Learn more about Alberta's strong labour force
- Find out more about the Quality of life in Alberta
Date Updated: Wed, 06 May 2015 12:59:49