A venture capitalist provides investment capital for a business venture and usually takes an equity position in the firm.
- Many venture capitalists have extensive experience in, and knowledge of, certain industries and they may specialize in specific types of enterprises.
- In return for taking on risk, venture capitalists may insist on having significant control over business ownership and management decisions.
Venture capital may be a good option for businesses that:
- Are not yet large enough to raise money through an initial public offering (on the stock market).
- May be considered too risky to qualify for traditional commercial loans.
Venture capital resources:
- Business Development Bank of Canada (BDC) Venture Capital
- BDC Venture Capital is a major venture capital investor in Canada, active at every stage of the company's development cycle.
- Canada's Venture Capital and Privacy Equity Association (CVCA)
- CVCA is a member-based association that represents Canada's venture capital and private equity industry.
- Venture Capital
- The Business Link provides information about venture capital financing and working with professional venture capitalists.
- Venture Capital Association of Alberta (VCAA)
- VCAA is an industry association for investors interested in advancing industry in Alberta.
Browse the latest presentations, reports, and reviews on Alberta’s economic performance.
Employment and labour relations
Find out about the employment-related legislation in every province.
Date Updated: Wed, 04 Jan 2017 03:10:25