Immigration Pathways

There are several immigration pathways for you to explore that may help you retain a temporary foreign worker who is already working in your company.

Alberta Immigrant Nominee Program

The Alberta Immigrant Nominee Program (AINP) is a permanent immigration program operated by the Government of Alberta in conjunction with the Government of Canada’s department of Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC).

Individuals nominated by the Government of Alberta can apply for permanent residence through IRCC as a provincial nominee. IRCC makes the final decision on all permanent residence applications.

To learn more, visit our the AINP webpage.

Express Entry

The Government of Canada through IRCC, offers skilled workers the opportunity to apply for permanent residence through Express Entry (EE). EE can help you with your labour needs, and support high-skilled foreign workers in obtaining their permanent resident status based on their potential to become economically established in Canada.

EE applicants must meet the criteria of either the Canadian Experience Class, Federal Skilled Trades Program, or Federal Skilled Worker Program. Applicants will be scored using a ranking system and the highest ranked will receive an invitation to apply for permanent residence from IRCC.

For more information on EE, visit the IRCC website.

Work Permit Extensions

If a foreign worker is in Alberta on a work permit, they can only legally work as long as their work permit is valid. If their work permit is due to expire they may be able to apply for an extension.

A foreign worker who wishes to continue working in Canada, must have their employer obtain a new Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) , and the worker must apply for a work permit extension before their current permit expires.

For more information on extending a work permit, visit the IRCC website.