Self-Employed Farmer Stream
Are you a farm owner/operator with proven management skills and the financial resources to develop a sustainable growth-oriented primary production farming business in Alberta, Canada?
The Alberta Immigrant Nominee Program (AINP) can nominate individual farm owner/operators who want to immigrate, purchase and manage a farming business in Alberta.
The AINP works closely with Alberta Agriculture and Rural Development to assess the eligibility of applicants in this category.
Self-Employed Farmer Stream criteria
Self-Employed Farmer Stream criteria (includes but is not limited to):
- You must prove that you have farm management skills shown by:
- Financial documentation of your existing farm business
- Documentation of your education, training and work experience
- Proposed business plan for the farming enterprise you are considering in Alberta
- Proof that a Canadian financial institution is willing to finance your proposed farming business.
- You must have sufficient financial resources to develop a sustainable farming operation.
- You must be able to invest a minimum of CDN $500,000 of equity in a primary production farming business in Alberta.
- You must provide documents that demonstrates you have a minimum net worth of CDN $500,000 or confirmation that you have access to a similar amount of funds from other sources.
- The CDN $500,000 is the minimum amount. You may be required to show you have the ability to invest more than the minimum.
- You must invest in a primary production farming business in Alberta.
- You will have to document your investment intentions in your proposed business plan.
- Applications representing the best opportunity for growth relevant to Alberta's agri-food targets will be given priority.
Meeting the criteria listed above does not guarantee a nomination or permanent residence.
If you have any questions about this stream, contact:Alberta Agriculture and Rural Development
Toll Free in Alberta: 310-FARM (310-3276) or 1-866-882-7677
Telephone: (Canada 001) (403) 742-7901
How to apply
Find out how to immigrate to Alberta as a self-employed farmer
Date Updated: Thu, 19 Jul 2012 10:15:18