Health and Wellness
Alberta offers a great health-care system. Everyone has access to hospitals, clinics, a variety of social support services, and qualified physicians and health-care workers.
How much does it cost?
Alberta provides free hospital and medical services to residents. Learn what's covered and how to access Alberta health-care services.
Specialized children’s hospitals
Alberta offers excellent medical care for children:
- The Stollery Children’s Hospital in Edmonton is a national leader in organ transplantation. It is also Western Canada’s referral centre for pediatric heart surgery.
- Alberta Children’s Hospital in Calgary is the provincial expert in bone marrow transplantation. It is also known as the national leader for pediatric neurosciences.
Additional services include:
- Children's mental health resources
- Financial support for low-income families
- Bullying information and support
Leaders in heart disease and cancer research
- The Mazankowski Alberta Heart Institute in Edmonton is a world leader in complex cardiac care and surgery. Skilled cardiologists, surgeons, researchers and educators work to prevent, detect, treat and study heart disease.
- The Southern Alberta Cancer Research Institute in Calgary is a leader in cancer prevention, diagnosis, treatment, survivorship and palliative care.
Health-care services in remote areas
Even in remote areas, you can still access health care.
Telehealth uses videoconferencing technology to connect patients and health-care providers. It transmits pictures, voice and information to help deliver the best health care, no matter where you live.
For emergencies, Alberta’s air ambulance service provides transport between hospitals or from the scene of an accident. Paramedics, nurses, respiratory technologists and physicians are all on hand no matter where you are. This service operates 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
Alberta takes preserving the environment very seriously.
- Alberta’s climate leadership plan promotes energy efficiency and renewable energy.
- Alberta’s Water for Life action plan helps manage and protect Alberta’s clean water resources.
- Alberta is very proud of its natural resources and works hard to ensure that Alberta Parks are maintained in peak condition.
- The Edmonton Waste Management Centre of Excellence is internationally recognized for its advances in turning waste into resources.
Albertans know that the places we live, learn, work and play affect our physical and mental health. With a four-season climate and unspoiled, wide, open, natural spaces outside our doors, it is easy for us to take part in recreational and leisure activities that benefit the mind and body. Alberta Health supports and encourages Albertans to lead healthier lifestyles by providing them with access to information on healthy eating and active living.
Learn about Alberta’s communities, regions, geography, climate and services.
Subscribe to our email service to receive information and resources relevant to you.
Date Updated: Mon, 30 Jan 2017 02:21:21