Driver's licence

Every driver of a car, truck or motorcycle must have a valid driver's licence. You must have the licence with you when you drive a motor vehicle. Driving without a valid driver's licence is against the law.

If your driver's licence was issued elsewhere in Canada or in another country, contact an Alberta Registry Agent to find out how to get an Alberta driver's licence.

Unless you are a full-time student, you will probably need to exchange your original driver's licence for an Alberta licence within 90 days of moving to Alberta. If you move from one province to another, you will need to get a new driver's licence and register your vehicle in your new province or territory.

Alberta has reciprocal licensing agreements with a number of countries; if you have a driver’s licence from one of these countries, you can exchange it in Alberta without having to take any additional test(s). If your licence is from another country without a reciprocal licensing agreement, you will have to complete a knowledge test and a road test.

Graduated Driver Licence (GDL) Program

Alberta has a Graduated Driver Licence (GDL) program for drivers with fewer than two years of proven driving experience. To be exempt from the GDL program, you will have to provide documentation of your driving history.

If you do not have two years of proven driving history, you will enter the GDL program. The program's rules let new drivers gain experience driving under safer conditions.

Government identification cards

If you do not drive but you would still like official government identification, a Government of Alberta photo identification card is available.