Registration and insurance

You must register and insure your vehicle before driving it in Alberta. You must also keep these registration and insurance documents in your vehicle: driving without them is against the law and may result in a fine. Learn more about registering, insuring and driving your vehicle.

Auto insurance

Auto insurance covers bodily injury, death and property damage in the event of an accident. Insurance premiums (rates) and coverage vary from one company to another: it is a good idea to get estimates from several companies.

For more information about auto insurance:

Registering a vehicle

Motor vehicles owned by residents of Alberta must be registered by an Alberta Registry Agent. When you register your vehicle, you will also be issued a licence plate.


If you are involved in a collision (accident) with another vehicle, you are required by law to show the other driver your:

  • name
  • address
  • driver's licence number
  • registration and insurance documents

You should get the same information from the other driver and write it down. Also ask anyone who witnessed the collision for his or her name, address and telephone number. If you are involved in a collision that results in damage to other property, you must notify the owner of that property.

If you think the damage will cost more than $1,000 to fix, you must notify the police. You should also contact your insurance company. If someone has been injured, call an ambulance and the police right away. You are required by law to stay at the accident site until the police arrive.