From Another Country
Are you considering moving to Alberta from another country? There are important decisions to make and things to do before you leave.
Some things to think about
- Consider various immigration options.
Find out about different immigration programs and which ones you may be eligible for.
- Get your education assessed.
If you are applying to immigrate to Canada using Express Entry, an Education Credential Assessment (ECA) is usually necessary. Once you are in Alberta, you can use your ECA when looking for jobs.
- Improve your English.
English is the main language in Alberta. If English is not your first language, you may want to improve your skills before arriving.
- Do you work in a regulated occupation or trade?
Even if your education has been assessed, you may still need to become licensed or registered in your occupation. Find out if you work in a regulated occupation or trade in Alberta. Alberta Works Centres can help you research your occupation.
- Find out about the cost of living in Alberta.
Explore wages and salaries in Alberta, and compare average household income with average household spending.
- Explore different communities.
Where do you plan to live? Do you prefer living in a city or a smaller town? Decide on the lifestyle you want and what is most important to you in your new community.
- Will you or a family member need access to education?
You will need to find out which schools and institutions offer the training or program you need.
- Prepare your finances.
Notify your bank, accountant and anyone else who may hold accounts on your behalf. It’s also a good idea to have some Canadian currency to use when you arrive.
- Learn about Alberta’s tax laws.
You will need to know about personal tax, income tax and property tax.
Things to do before you leave
- Gather important documents.
Important documents include:
- immigration documents
- birth certificate
- school/university transcripts
- driver’s licence
- personal and legal documents such as wills, medical records and immunization records
- Ensure your passport is valid.
- Gather work reference letters.
- Gather landlord reference letters.
- Arrange to get health insurance.
You will need to get health insurance before you leave. Gather your medical and immunization records, and get copies of any prescriptions.
- Notify your home government of your plans to come to Alberta.
- Learn about resources for newcomers
Learn about Alberta’s communities, regions, geography, climate and services.
Subscribe to our email service to receive information and resources relevant to you.
Date Updated: Thu, 19 Jan 2017 10:16:52