Family Sponsorship

The Family Sponsorship Program enables Canadian citizens or permanent residents to sponsor relatives who will then become permanent residents and can live, work and study in Alberta permanently. The Family Sponsorship Program is run by the Government of Canada.

Who can apply?

You must be a Canadian citizen or permanent resident aged 18 or older to sponsor a family member. Your relatives must pass medical, criminal and background checks. You will be asked to provide proof that you can:

  • provide basic needs for yourself and your family, such as food, clothing and shelter
  • support your relatives financially so they don’t need financial help from the government

How do I apply to the Family Sponsorship Program?

  1. Choose the family member you want to sponsor and complete the relevant application forms.
  2. Have your family apply for permanent residence.
  3. Submit both applications together to the Case Processing Centre.
  4. Check your application status online.