Using an Immigration Representative

You do not need to hire an immigration representative or lawyer to help you with your immigration application. Your application will not be given special attention or guaranteed approval if you use a consultant or lawyer.

All the forms and information that you need to apply to immigrate to Alberta are available for free. If you follow the instructions online and in the application guide, you can complete the application on your own.

If you decide to use a representative:
  1. Be aware that the Government of Canada may still contact you directly about your application.
  2. You must fill out a form saying that you are using a representative or your application may be declined.
  3. Only authorized representatives can charge a fee for their services. Before you pay anyone a fee, check their credentials to make sure they are authorized.
  4. Processing fees are the same at all Canadian visa offices.
    • If charged in local currency, fees are based on official exchange rates and correspond with the amount in Canadian dollars.
    • Canadian visa offices will never ask you to deposit money into a personal bank account or transfer money through a specific private money transfer company.
  5. Beware of internet scams and false websites. The official Government of Alberta website is The official Government of Canada immigration website is Other websites may appear to be official government websites, but the information they contain may be inaccurate or out of date.

If you have questions, you can contact Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada or the Immigrate to Alberta Information Service.