Live Permanently

Do you want to make Alberta your permanent home? Whether you're already here, or want to immigrate from another country, we'll help you find the right Canadian immigration program. There are both federal government and provincial government programs.

Alberta Immigrant Nominee Program (AINP)

The AINP is an immigration program for skilled and select semi-skilled workers looking to live and work in Alberta. The province nominates you, and the Government of Canada makes the final decision. You can apply on your own or with your employer through one of these categories:

  • Compulsory and Optional Trades
  • Engineering Occupations
  • Post-Graduate Worker
  • Skilled Worker
  • International Graduate
  • Semi-Skilled Worker
  • Self-Employed Farmer

Learn more about the AINP

Express Entry

Express Entry is an electronic system for managing permanent residence applications under the following existing immigration programs, run by Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC):

  • Canadian Experience Class
  • Federal Skilled Worker Program
  • Federal Skilled Trades Program

Learn more about Express Entry

Business Immigration Program

This program provides entrepreneurs, investors and self-employed people with three dedicated pathways to permanent residence:

  • Start-Up Visa
  • Immigrant Investor Venture Capital Pilot
  • Self-Employed Persons Program

Learn more about the Business Immigration Program

Caregiver Program

This is for caregivers who provide child care or home support for seniors or people with disabilities. There are three options:

  • Caring for Children Pathway
  • Caring for People with High Medical Needs Pathway
  • Live-in Caregiver Program

Learn more about the Caregiver Program

Family Sponsorship

The Family Sponsorship Program enables Canadian citizens or permanent residents to sponsor relatives to work, study or live in Alberta. You can sponsor your:

  • spouse, partner or dependent children
  • parents and grandparents
  • adopted children and other eligible relatives

Learn more about Family Sponsorship

Sponsor a Refugee

Canada’s Private Sponsorship of Refugees Program helps thousands of refugees find new homes every year. There are five programs to choose from:

  • Groups of five
  • Community sponsors
  • Sponsorship Agreement Holders
  • Joint Assistance Sponsorship Program
  • Blended Visa Office-Referred Program

Learn more about sponsoring a refugee

Other ways to immigrate

If you do not qualify for any of the above programs, other options may be available. You may qualify if:

  • you are a Protected Person
  • you are a Temporary Resident Permit holder
  • there are humanitarian and compassionate considerations

Learn about your options