Other Immigration Pathways

Most people immigrate to Alberta through Express Entry, Alberta Immigrant Nominee Program (AINP), Business Immigration or Family Sponsorship immigration programs. If you don’t qualify for these, you may be eligible under an alternative program listed below.

Do you qualify as a Protected Person?

In Canada, a Protected Person is considered to be:

  • an individual who makes a refugee claim in Canada and is determined by the Canadian immigration office to be in need of protection
  • a Convention refugee, meaning someone who is outside their home country or the country where they normally live, and who is unwilling to return because of a fear of persecution based on race, religion, political opinion, nationality or membership in a particular social group, such as women or people of a particular sexual orientation
  • a Temporary Resident Permit holder who needs protection

Do you qualify on humanitarian and compassionate grounds?

If you are in Canada, and would be in danger if you returned to your country, you might qualify for humanitarian and compassionate considerations.