Study in Alberta

Alberta welcomes students from around the world. You can choose from a variety of universities, colleges and technical schools. This section will help you learn about study permits and other aspects of coming to Alberta as an international student.

Who can study in Alberta?

If you plan to study in Alberta for more than six months at a designated learning institution, you will need a Canadian study permit.

How to apply for a study permit

Step 1: Find an institution and apply for a program or course

Colleges, universities and technical schools in Alberta each have their own application process and admission requirements. They also have specific English or French language requirements.

Step 2: See if you need your education credentials assessed

Some colleges and universities may need you to complete an international qualification assessment before you can be admitted. It assesses your education and compares it to Canadian standards. Review the admission requirements or contact the institution directly to find out if you need an assessment.

Step 3: Apply for a study permit

Once you have been accepted by an institution, you need to apply for a study permit (see exemptions). You can apply online or by mail.

Check permit processing times

Work while studying

While studying in Canada, you may be able to work to help pay for living expenses or gain valuable experience. Depending on the nature and location of your work, you might need a student work permit.

Help your spouse work in Canada

Many international students bring their families. Your spouse or common-law partner might be eligible for a work permit for the same period of time as your study permit.

Work in Canada after graduation

After graduation, you might qualify for a post-grad work permit. This will allow you to stay and work in Canada, for the length of your course or program, to a maximum of three years.

Use your experience to move permanently to Canada. Just one year of skilled work experience can help you to qualify for permanent residence under Express Entry.