Public transit

Public transit in Alberta includes buses and trains. They can help you travel within a city.

  • Edmonton routes, schedules, fares and passes online
  • Calgary routes, schedules, fares and passes online

Long distance travel

Getting a driver's licence

In Alberta, new drivers must go through a Graduated Driver's Licence (GDL) program. This includes a knowledge test, one year of supported driving experience and a full road test.

Driving lessons are a good way to develop your skills. See the list of licensed driving schools in Alberta.

If you already have a driver's licence, you canĀ exchange your Canadian or international license for an Alberta license.

Driving and the law

There are important laws that you must follow to drive in Alberta.

  • Seatbelts and child seats: In Alberta, wearing a seatbelt is required by law. You can be fined for not wearing a seatbelt. Child safety seats are also required for children under the age of six who weigh 18 kilograms (40 pounds) or less . Learn more about traffic safety in Alberta.
  • Traffic tickets: Police in Alberta give out traffic tickets for offences such as speeding, distracted driving (e.g. talking on a cellphone) and causing an accident. Tickets can also be issued by photo radar. Some tickets require you to appear in traffic court and may involve demerit points. Too many demerit points cause you to lose your licence.
  • Drinking and driving: Alberta has very tough penalties for people who drive while drunk. Learn more about driving responsibly.
  • Accidents/Collisions: If you are in an accident, you must report it to the police. This may involve calling police to the scene, waiting for the police to arrive or going to a repair centre in the case of small accidents. If there is a serious injury or fatality, or if a driver appears impaired (drunk or high), you must call 911. Learn more about how to report a car accident in Alberta.

Buying, insuring and registering a vehicle

There is a process for buying, insuring and registering a vehicle in Alberta. Get more information on: