From Within Canada

If you have been certified by a Canadian regulatory body to work in your occupation and are in good standing, the Canadian Free Trade Agreement (PDF) states that you can be certified to work in that occupation across Canada, without having to go through additional, unnecessary training, work experience, examination or assessment requirements. The CFTA replaces the Agreement on Internal Trade (AIT).

Certified Worker Brochure

Workers not covered by this agreement include:

  • uncertified workers (apprentices, interns and students)
  • occupations for which there are no certification or licensing requirements (e.g., retail and service employees, restaurant services, administrative and clerical workers)

Can I work in Alberta?

Alberta operates under two domestic trade agreements that recognize workers already certified in Canada:

  1. The Canadian Free Trade Agreement, signed by all provinces and territories and the federal government. Your occupation needs to be regulated both in your current province/territory and in Alberta. If it is not, labour mobility does not apply.
  2. The New West Partnership Trade Agreement (NWPTA) (PDF), signed by British Columbia, Alberta, Saskatchewan and Manitoba.

    Both of these agreements recognize workers already certified in another province or territory in Canada. If you have been certified by a regulatory body to work in your occupation and are in good standing. These domestic trade agreements mean that you do not need to go through unnecessary additional training, work experience or assessment to work in your occupation in another province or territory. This also applies to internationally-trained/educated workers certified in another Canadian province or territory.

Steps to getting your certification recognized

  1. Visit the Alberta Learning Information Services (ALIS) website to find out if your occupation is regulated in Alberta. If you work in a trade, visit Apprenticeship and Industry Training (AIT) for compulsory and optional certification trades in Alberta.
  2. For some occupations, Alberta has labour mobility exceptions for certified workers from other provinces and territories because there are significantly different activities required to perform that occupation in Alberta.
  3. Before submitting your application to the appropriate regulatory body in Alberta, contact your home regulatory body to ensure you are an active member in good standing.
  4. Read the Best Practice Checklist (PDF) that lists the information that regulatory bodies can ask of out-of-province certified workers.
  5. Submit your complete application, fees and required documents.

    Learn more

    To learn more about transferring your credentials, visit the Labour Mobility website or watch the video below to see examples of certified workers in occupations and trades who want to move to another part of Canada to work.