Social insurance number

If you are coming from outside Canada to work in Alberta, you will need a Social Insurance Number (SIN) to:

  • work in Canada
  • receive government benefits

A SIN is a nine-digit number used to administer Canadian government programs.

Getting a Social Insurance Number

To get a Social Insurance Number, go to a Service Canada Centre (SCC) or apply in writing. You will need to show originals of required documents.