Employment insurance

Employment Insurance (EI) provides temporary financial assistance for unemployed Canadians while they look for work or upgrade their skills. To qualify for EI, you must have:

  • paid into EI
  • applied for EI
  • been without work and without pay for at least seven consecutive days
  • worked for the required number of insurable hours (based on where you live and the unemployment rate in your economic region at the time you file your claim)

Record of Employment

When you leave a full-time job, your employer must provide a Record of Employment (ROE) that states:

  • your wage
  • the number of hours you worked
  • why you no longer work for that employer

To apply for EI, you must have Records of Employment from all of your employers for the last 52 weeks.

If your employer does not provide a Record of Employment:

  1. Contact the Service Canada Centre nearest you.
  2. Tell the representative you talk to that you were unable to obtain your Record of Employment.

How to apply

You can apply for Employment Insurance (EI):

Always apply for EI benefits as soon as you stop working. You can apply for benefits even if you have not yet received your Record of Employment (ROE). If you delay filing your claim for benefits for more than four weeks after your last day of work, you may lose benefits.